You are here
Psychology Discovery House
Quads, Livingston Campus
The Psychology House is a self-selected group of first-year students who will enjoy the benefits of sharing common residential and academic experiences while making new friends, exploring common interests and being a part of a close community of peers. Students will benefit from special programs in the residence hall, and having a peer mentor in residence to provide help in answering all those Rutgers questions. This will assist you in exploring your interests in Psychology while bonding with fellow Rutgers students.
Programming in this community has included the following:
- New York City trip to a Psychology Conference on Behavioral Research
- Now O’clock – Time management program
- Psych 101 – Quiz game on material learned in Psychology classes
- The MAJOR workshop – Explores major options and resources for finding summer opportunities
- Attend the involvement fair
- Participate in social events as a community e.g. football games
Open to first-year students affiliated with SAS , SEBS and RBS
Early Move-In and Special Orientation
Students enrolled in the program will get the added advantage/benefit of being able to move in early and participate in a special orientation program on Friday August 28, 2015. This will provide first-years the chance to explore the Rutgers campus, get familiar with the bus system, and find their classes in advance.
As a participant, you will be:
- Attending community sponsored events and monthly meetings
- Co-enrolled in three first year courses for the fall semester:
- General Psychology
- Expository Writing or Basic Comp (depending on placement)
- FIGs: Exploring Psychology
Note: At your academic planning and advising day, you will be able to choose 2-3 other classes toward your academic interests. This is a perfect balance because it allows you to be both part of a smaller community and have access to all other Rutgers course offerings as well. If you AP out of any of the courses you will not be required to enroll in them and will still be eligible for this program.
- Optional courses for spring semester will be made available for students to consider
There is a two-part application process for this community:
- Register the Psychology Discovery House Living-Learning Community as your first choice on the online housing application on the Enrollment Pathway
- Application will open April 1, 2015 and the deadline is Friday June 12, 2015 at midnight.. You must complete the online application and a phone interview. You will be contacted by a learning community staff member about timing of the phone interview.
More About the Vibrant Livingston Campus!
Students accepted into the community will live in the Quads Residence Halls on the Livingston Campus. Quads are a residence for first-year students and offer study rooms, laundry facilities, kitchens, lounges, and a central multipurpose room. Quads have lots of green space surrounding them, are adjacent to the Livingston Recreation Center, near Livingston Student Center, Livingston Dining Hall, Livingston Bookstore and walking distance to the Louis Brown Athletic Center (RAC).
For more information, please contact:
Director, Learning Communities