You are here
Leadership Living-Learning Community
Campbell Hall, College Avenue Campus
This leadership-centered community brings together students to share in a fun and engaging exploration of leadership and personal leadership development. Members of this community will work together to identify their own leadership styles and abilities, enhance their brand and presence, learn to think critically about leadership as a subject and will benefit from exclusive opportunities to connect with successful leaders working across a diverse array of fields. From fashion to finance, media to medicine, and politics to publishing----leaders working in challenging and dynamic organizations will share their stories and address your questions about what it means to lead in today’s dynamic and complex world.
With a purposeful focus on developing leadership identities and transferable skills (regardless of intended career or field of study), this community will set its members on a path to be the next generation of Rutgers Leaders both on campus, in the local community, and beyond. Concepts will be taught in special courses, reinforced through experiences e.g. trips, and executed through practical application. Offering participants a myriad of experiences, connections, and opportunities to lead, members of this community can expect personal and professional development, and a network of friends and mentors to carry them throughout their time at Rutgers and beyond.
This community is a collaboration between the Residence Life, Department of Leadership & Experiential Learning and the School of Communication & Information. All activities and experiences are designed to enhance each students overall college experience and better prepare them for post-graduate success.
- Exclusive access to courses that are in high-demand including Approaches to Leadership and Public Speaking
- Fast track to the Leadership Certification through the School of Communication & Information
- Exclusive trips, such as to the United Nations
- A jumpstart to leadership exposure that may lead to future involvement and leadership positions held on campus
- Networking with visiting scholars, distinguished alumni, and business leaders through guest lecturers and field trips
- Early engagement and involvement with the Department of Leadership & Experiential Learning, including mentorship from staff and current leaders
- Access to leadership retreats, service-learning opportunities, alternative break trips, and hands-on experiences to develop and practice leadership
- In-depth and unique community building with a network of peers
- Guaranteed housing assignment in Campbell Hall on the College Avenue Campus
Open to first-year students affiliated with SAS, SEBS, and RBS and second-year students who have participated in the Leadership LLC in their first year.
- Full participation and engagement in all program experiences including events and trips sponsored by the Leadership Living-Learning Community
- Fall: Students will be enrolled in 2 classes:
- Intro to Communication and Information Processes (3 credits)
- Exclusive Leadership Experience (3 credits)
- Spring: Students will enroll in at least 1 of the course options, but are eligible to take all 3 courses:
- Approaches to Leadership (3 credits)
- Public Speaking (3 credits)
- Leadership Practicum (1.5 credits)
Students will be enrolled in exclusive sections of these classes. Registration will be guided by an advisor. All of these courses count towards the SC&I major. Fast track to the Leadership Specialization through School of Communication and Information!
Sample Syllabus for Exploring Leadership course. PLEASE NOTE: Syllabi and Instructors change over time, so this may not be the exact syllabus or course content that you will take as a future participant.
Sample Syllabus for a course available to students who choose to continue their Leadership LLC journey into their sophomore year, Advanced Explorations in Leadership! PLEASE NOTE: Syllabi and Instructors change over time, so this may not be the exact syllabus or course content that you will take as a future participant.
Mandatory Early Move-in and Special Orientation
Students enrolled in the program will get the added advantage of being able to move in early and participate in a special orientation program on Thursday, August 30, 2018. This will provide new students the chance get familiar with the bus system, find their classes in advance, and explore and adjust to the Rutgers campus.
Incoming First-Year and Transfer Students:
There is a two-part process in order to apply for this community:
- You MUST register the Leadership Living-Learning Community as your first choice on the online housing application on the Enrollment Pathway
- Complete a Leadership LLC Application here by the Priority Deadline of June 11, 2018. Although this date has passed, our office is still accepting and reviewing applications on a rolling basis until the community is filled or we reach our hard deadline of July 2nd, 2018.
Director, Leadership & Experiential Learning