You are here
International Living-Learning Community
The International Community is a Living-Learning Community specifically for first year undergraduate international students. Students live together in Frelinghuysen Hall, a traditional residence hall on College Avenue Campus, take a one credit School of Arts and Sciences (SAS) course, and participate in programs and events that are focused on sharing global cultures.
The community is also supported by three Peer Mentors who provide individualized mentoring, and a student advisory board (International Community Advisory Board) composed of students living in Frelinghuysen.
Programming for this community has included:
Halloween Pumpkin Carving
International Art Show
International Student Panel during International Education Week
Thanksgiving meal during the break
Lunar New Year Celebration
- Must be a full time Rutgers incoming first year undergraduate international student.
- Must be a School of Arts and Sciences student.
- Have an interest in other cultures and global topics, and want to share their own experiences.
- All students must take the International Student Transition Seminar (ISTS) which meets once a week on Fridays, 1:10pm-2:30pm at Hardenbergh Hall.
- Priority move in date (International students move in August 26, 2018 and International Student Orientation begins August 27, 2018)
- Small group mentoring and 1:1 attention from Peer Mentors
- Specialized programming, trips, and activities
What is the ISTS course?
As a new international student at Rutgers, ISTS classes are designed to help make connections with resources and network in small group settings. All sections are led by a Residence Life professional staff member assisted by one of the ICAF peer mentors. Examples of topics covered during section meetings include academics, pop culture, Rutgers history and US traditions, making friends and connecting with the Rutgers community.
International students who take the ISTS course will develop a stronger sense of connection with their communities and with Rutgers.
Incoming First Year Students
- Must complete the Incoming First Year Student online application at the Enrollment Pathway. (You will need your NetId and password)
- Must select "International Community" as your first choice on the online housing application on the Enrollment Pathway
- Application for LLCs are now OPEN. Click here to apply.
For any questions about the International LLC, please contact Janet Loh at email@example.com