You are here
Rutgers offers our incoming first-year students with a multitude of learning community offerings. Students in first-year learning communities will enjoy the benefits of sharing common residential and academic experiences while making new friends, exploring common interests and being a part of a close community of peers. We are excited for your participation in a Rutgers Learning Community. These programs will provide you with an opportunity to connect to a community of faculty, staff, and fellow students and to receive individualized attention to build foundations for success in your first year and beyond.
All residential learning communities require an online application. Select a learning community based on your current academic interest or an academic interest area you would like to explore.
LIVING-LEARNING COMMUNITIES (*designated residential hall)
Students who select a Living-Learning Community share common academic interests such as health and medicine, French language and culture, television production, psychology, law and more! LLCs are both residential and curricular, allowing students to take one to three common first-year courses together with the ability to build supportive social and academic networks in and outside of the classroom. As a community member, you will make connections with faculty, students, and staff that will contribute to academically rich, fun, and rewarding academic experiences at RU.
- Asian American Identities and Images
- Business Discovery House
- French Language and Culture Living-Learning Community
- Health and Medicine Living-Learning Community
- International Living-Learning Community
- Latin Images Living-Learning Community
- Law and Political Science Discovery House
- Leadership Living-Learning Community
- Paul Robeson Living-Learning Community
- Psychology Discovery House
- RU-tv WeatherWatcher Living-Learning Community
What Students are Saying.......
- "Having people you live with in the same classes was a huge help. I am doing a lot better in my classes than I would have if I did not live in a discovery house."
- "Having a peer mentor who is knowledgeable about many aspects of education, especially research opportunities."
- "Living with and going to class with the same people helped me to develop friendships and made the transition to Rutgers much easier."
- "Having classes together. It made us study and learn better."
SPECIAL INTEREST RESIDENTIAL OPTIONS -- THEMATIC COMMUNITIES
Thematic communities allow students with specific academic, personal or professional interests to live together on the same floor without a course/curricular component. Known for their active and vibrant student communities, these programs have often been viewed by students as one of the most pleasant and satisfying residential experiences at the university.
- Demarest Residential Community
- Global Roommate Program
- Rainbow Perspectives
- RU-tv Broadcast Communications
RESIDENTIAL COLLEGE FOR WOMEN
Rutgers University, the State University of New Jersey, is the only flagship public research university in the nation to offer students the opportunity to join a women's residential college. Through innovative career development programs, leadership opportunities, and experiential learning, Douglass offers an enhancement to the wonderful opportunities at Rutgers–New Brunswick. Within the Douglass Residential College there are a wide array of learning communities open to residential and commuting RU women.