You are here
Demarest Hall, College Avenue Campus
Demarest Hall hosts 170 undergraduate students ranging from first-year to senior. The Demarest community offers students the ability to participate in at least one of ten special interest sections. Sections are small groups of students (approx. 10) that come together based on a common interest e.g. Performing Arts, Music Appreciation, etc. These sections can change each year based on student interest and initiative.
- Open to all class years and all majors.
All Demarest residents are expected to contract into at least one of the ten special interest sections. Demarest sections for the 2017-2018 year include:
- Creative Writing: Supports its members in the production of written work and exploring both theory and practice of writing styles.
- Performing Arts: Explores talent with peers in art forms including music, dance, theater, and others.
- Visual Arts: Committed to artistic freedom. Members explore various mediums and techniques for creating art as well as study, discuss, and critique historical and contemporary artistic trends.
- Culture Studies: Geared towards advanced thinking about culture. The section will examine culture through sociological, anthropological, scientific, and political lenses.
- Sex, Sexuality, and Gender: Explores theories and issues of sex and sexuality in the contexts of culture and society, and is open to everyone regardless of sexual orientation, background, or personal beliefs.
- History and Political Science: Discusses current and controversial issues with specific relevance to history and political science.
- Philosophy: Expresses and exchanges ideas of a philosophical nature and introduces free thinkers with no background in the discipline to philosophical argument.
- Cinema Studies: Views, discusses, and critiques films of all genres.
- Religion and Spirituality: Explores beliefs and cultures while learning about the beliefs of others.
- Music Appreciation: Explores music genres through discussion and exhibition.
Demarest members are expected to adhere to the following:
- Be an active presence in the floor/hall community
- Meet once a week with section members to discuss topics of interest
- Abide by all rules, regulations, policies, and procedures as outlined by the Office of Residence Life
- Participate in the development and growth of special interest/thematic communities at Rutgers University
- Sign a special interest section contract that outlines the aforementioned expectations
Programs and Activities
- Drag Show
- Demarest Reunion
Continuing students, Click here to apply for the Demarest Hall Community. Applications for continuing students are due January 27, 2017 at 11:59pm. First-year students, check "Demarest" for your Special Interest Living option.
For more information, please contact Residence Life Coordinator Ayanna Winters at firstname.lastname@example.org , or contact the College Avenue Residence Life Office at (848) 932-7209.