You are here
Asian American Identities & Images Living-Learning Community
Pell and Hegeman Halls, Bishop Quads, College Avenue Campus
The Asian American Identities & Images Living Learning community (AAII LLC) seeks to enhance students’ knowledge of the diverse lived experiences of Asian Americans and other peoples of Asian descent in the United States. The AAII LLC provides a sense of community among undergraduates in this program and the Rutgers University community at large. This unique residential environment combines curricular and co-curricular activities designed to enhance each student’s overall college experience. Residents of this community live in Bishop Quad (Hegeman Hall and Pell Hall) on the College Avenue Campus. All Rutgers students interested in the diverse cultural and ethnic groups that comprise Asian America are encouraged to apply to join the community. This community is comprised of students, ranging from first-year students through seniors, who are interested in building a community based on mutual interests, developing their knowledge of Asians/Asian Americans in the United States and across the diaspora, creating connections with University faculty and staff, and exploring leadership opportunities through social and cultural organizations
Students and mentors will live on the College Avenue Campus, adjacent to downtown New Brunswick with theaters, restaurants, student-friendly shopping, and the NJ Transit train station for easy access to NYC and Philadelphia. Pell and Hegeman Halls are in the heart of the College Avenue Campus in the scenic Bishop Quad area.
- Guaranteed housing in the recently renovated Bishop Quad halls
- Build a network of faculty and staff members who are willing to assist you in your college journey
- Participate in special events and field trips to New York City
- Individualized attention from designated live-in peer mentors
- Cultural immersion and enrichment
- Engage in a dynamic, positive, and fun environment with unique, targeted programming:
- Field trips
- Movie nights
- Holiday celebrations
- Cultural dinners
- Guest speakers
- Community service
- Connections to other LLCs in the building such as Latin Images (Latin diaspora), Paul Robeson (African diaspora), and French Language and Culture
- Regular exposure to Asian American affiliated campus clubs and organizations
- LLC 1.5 course credit (taken in fall and spring for total of 3 credits) will count towards the Certificate in Asian/Asian American Studies. Sample Syllabus PLEASE NOTE: Syllabi and Instructors change over time, so this may not be the exact syllabus or course content that you will take as a future participant
- Incoming first-year and transfer students enrolled in the community will participate in a 1.5 credit Asian American Identities and Images course for both fall and spring semesters.
- Current Rutgers students who are accepted will be provided a special permission number to register for the 1.5 credit Asian American Identities and Images course.
- Course will meet weekly on Fridays 1:40pm - 3:00pm at the Asian American Cultural Center on Livingston. Course information: 01:050:281 section 01.
- Register Asian American Identities and Images Living-Learning Community as your first choice on the online housing application on the Enrollment Pathway.
- Complete a living-learning community application here by the priority deadline of June 11, 2018.
Current Rutgers Students:
THE APPLICATION IS CLOSED FOR CONTINUING RUTGERS STUDENTS FOR 2018-2019.
For more information